As an incredibly hip, trendy, and with-it young girl around town, I always like to keep up to date with the latest fashions. Recently I’ve been going for the 80’s revival look - baggy t-shirts, leg warmers, neon colours, and bright plastic sunglasses. All my friends say I look absolutely ridiculous but, compliments aside, I think it’s time for a change! I’ve decided that punk is going to be my next sartorial inspiration and was wondering if you could give me some pointers to get me started.
Yours sincerely, Jacqui Saunders.
Congratulations Jacqui, you’ve just made the best decision of your life! Being a punk is a rich and rewarding fashion and lifestyle choice, if done correctly that is! Here’s my top 5 tips for living life as a punk:
1. Get a mohican! Everybody looks good with a mohawk. Just look at the Ed Mascot. He’s got one, and he’s a complete nerd!
2. Do it yourself! Don’t be afraid to customize your own clothes. Safety pins and permanent markers are your friends!
3. Mix it up! Forget the boring rules and regulations of other trends and fashions, this is punk! Red and green can be seen!
4. Start pogoing! Master the art of jumping up and down if you want to fit in. In punk circles this is called dancing!
5. Have fun! Don’t listen to the old schoolers who tell you punk was all about politics and class - YAWN!!! These killjoys are just jealous of your youth. Let them get on with collecting their pensions and boring people while you go out and enjoy yourself. Here’s The Dickies singing the Banana Splits theme to get you in the mood…
And don’t forget Jacqui, if you’re still stuck for inspiration, you could always head over to the KawaiiPunk Zazzle shop and pick up one of my tees. Just a suggestion :)